air freshener

German Teen Hospitalized After Using Too Much Air Freshener

By Stephen Fuchs on Email @StephenWFuchs

Early Wednesday afternoon, the use of an air freshener to cover up the signs of smoking in a car proved to be an almost deadly combination for a teenager in the German town of Duisburg.

According to police records, after picking up his newly acquired Volkswagen SUV, the 17-year-old used what is being considered an excessive amount of air freshener in an attempt to clear out the smell of smoke left by the previous owner. What he didn’t realize was that he had turned the car into a combustible chamber that ignited when he caused a light to turn on as he opened the door.

The force of the explosion blew out the SUV’s large panoramic sunroof, along with the roof’s frame, and left the teen with extensive burns to both arms.

The lesson: don’t go crazy with the air freshener, and roll down the windows some to let nature do its work for you.

Show your love & become a Patron. Get exclusive content, rewards and more!

Sources: PressePortal

Photo: Andy [Flickr]

Stephen Fuchs
Stephen founded German Pulse and LGBT Germany out of a passion to introduce Americans to a Germany that goes beyond beer and polka (although with enough beer he has been known to polka it up a bit). He's a coffee addict, lover of wine and good times, a hit in the kitchen and editor of TV commercials. You can follow him on Twitter (@StephenWFuchs) to find out a lot more.
Stephen Fuchs on EmailStephen Fuchs on LinkedinStephen Fuchs on Twitter